Friday, May 09, 2008

self-defense links

I added three new links to the sidebar today. These are sites I was already familiar with and thought some of my readers might be interested to see. They are all written by women, and they all focus on self-defense of one form or another.

Cornered Cat is by Kathy Jackson, a wife and mother who made the choice to carry a concealed handgun at all times. Her explanation of her decision, as well as her essays on ethics, social issues and pragmatic concerns are fascinating and educational. She is frank, levelheaded, and often funny.

Taking Care of Ourselves is a new one for me. Nancy Moore studies and teaches Aikido and has a lot to say about mental and physical preparedness. An in-depth woman's perspective of the martial arts is always welcome 'round here.

Suzette Haden Elgin is a linguist, artist, feminist, and science fiction writer whom I have had the pleasure of meeting at ConQuest in past years. She wrote one of my favorite series, the Native Tongue trilogy, and I once attended a shortened version of her "Gentle Art of Verbal Self-Defense" seminar, which was vastly insightful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks! :)

Holly said...

No, thank YOU. You inspire all kinds of confidence, and I'm not even particularly lacking in it.