Tuesday, July 15, 2008

life in motion, with occasional piece

I have been doing so many things lately, and so many things have happened, that it makes me tired to try to list all of them. However, if I don't list them, I feel tired and can't remember why. Better to remind myself of what I've done:
  1. Made the gloves, and cut out all the pieces for the PVC Harley Quinn costume I'm making for this client. I will probably write up a whole article/rant about sewing with PVC, assuming I survive this. It has been a learning experience. I'm having to completely reconstruct the hood, too, so I will have some neat new pictures and possibly a new pattern for sale.


  2. The three porcelain doll kits I bought on Ebay arrived yesterday. They're all in good shape, complete with pattern pieces for making the bodies, which will save me a whole heap of time. One of the dolls is for my sister, the other two I will probably dress and sell. I was debating whether to do them both in pretty Victorian, or in Gothy- Victorian, but it turns out one of them is badly painted and has a freaky wall-eyed look, so I guess I'll do one of each.


  3. The SP is having an electrical line and breaker box run out to our detached garage, which is the first major step toward its becoming a functional workshop. So he spent much of last night taking up the brick I laid down around the tomato bed and digging a trench for the line.


  4. I have learnt of still more tax liability left to me by my former marriage, about three years worth which may or may not be mine, so I'm gathering documents to pass to my accountant in the hopes of laying that mess to rest once and for all. My hope is that he'll salvage enough money in returns owed to me, to pay his fee.


  5. As if to add insult to injury, the driver's side sun visor broke off in my car on Monday morning. I drive into the sun during both commutes. Needless to say this shaped my mood for most of Monday. Thanks, Honda, I was wondering what to do with that extra $100!


Somewhat in spite of all this money drama, I bought a sofa. It was love at first sight, I admit, and love makes you do crazy things. But the fact is, I am going to have a lovely workroom/office before much longer, the SP has been working like crazy getting the trim done, and I hate the hand-me-down loveseat that has been my reading couch for the last eight years. I hate it. It's yellow and ragged where the cat clawed it, and broken down in the middle where my ex-roommate sat on it, and quite frankly it would cost me nearly as much to repair and recover it as this new sofa costs. So I put the new one on layaway and made the SP promise to finish my room in time for it to come home.

It looks like this, but in red. A rich, brown-red. It's a perfect balance between clean lines and opulent fabric. I'm keeping it, and the IRS can kiss my ex's fat white ass.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Holly! I was googling images for a picture of a sofa (as a reference for an illustration) and I found your blog and realized I knew you! I'm Jack, I took a writing class with you at Jewell under Deborah Maltby back in '99-'00, I was the only guy in the class so you may remember me (I was the one trying to pass off my cartoons as creative writing :-) Anyway, I went through your site and read some of your stuff (I read half of your story End of the Line) and loved it, your stuff is awesome as usual! I actually went back and read of some of the old Hilltops a couple years ago and the letter to the editor you wrote once about Budussy (not sure if you remember that) really stood out to me, it was reassuring knowing there was somebody at Jewell then with so much common sense and could express it so eloquently. Anyway, just thought I'd leave you a comment since I happened to be on your site, if you want to you can e-mail me at jackpullan@hotmail.com or check out my site www.jackcartoons.com. Later! Jack

Anonymous said...

Commuting into the sun; been there, done that. Until I found a neat little house a mile north of Longview Community College, I drove from the Piper district west of KCK to Longview. The morning sun was a real blinder. Two months of that was more than enough for me.
SG