Tuesday, November 04, 2008

enchanted doll

I maybe ought to qualify my rant about talent, and workmanship, and backhanded compliments.

Not that I modify my stance on people who complain that they can't do things whilst never attempting anything. But there's another reason why I must demure when folks carry on about how talented I am.

Because there's talent and then there's talent. I know where I stand; to paraphrase Emma Thompson's character in Impromptu, I have a tiny amount of talent and a moderate amount of craftsmanship. What I do may look impressive to the layman, but I know better. Marina Bychkova's work is several notches above anything I have done--both in vision and in execution.

I am in awe. And I envy her. She seems to have a clarity of purpose and focus that I've never had in my life. I'm spread too thin, over too many commitments.

I need to quit my day job.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tiny amount of talent-ha!!! Don't sell yourself short; you've no shortage of talent whatsoever. As for myself, I'm bursting with talent, but don't have enough time to show it all.

Now I must visit the chiropractor, having dislocated my shoulder patting myself on the back.
SG