Thursday, August 24, 2006

good, bad, and ugy news

I got a car. It's a 2003 Honda Civic. Runs fine. Interest rates are decent. Gets good gas mileage but has a tiny little tank so I'll probably be filling up just as often. It's kind of comfortable and fun to drive, looks decent but it's embarrassingly ubiquitous. I feel so mainstream. But hey, at least I don't have to worry about it melting down on 435 some morning.

The bad news is that I've got to live pretty close to the bone for the next month or so, to save up the money to pay the tags and taxes. Annoying, but not unexpected.

The really ugly news is that it may take ANOTHER whole month for my divorce to be final. Because of the vagarities of the court system, both parties are allowed a 30-day "cooling off" period after signing, and since Scott signed his response to the petition on August 10th, that means my lawyer can't even schedule a court date until after September 11th. "I'll try to get you a date in September," said his secretary when I spoke to her.

Just run over me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your newer wheels. No meltdown on 435? That route takes a body through the Dread Grandview Triangle(yeep!!!) on one's way to work. However, it may be an improvement on the construction bottlenecks on the downtown I-35 loop(double yeep!!!). According to the Bernoulli principle, moving fluids flow faster through constrictions in their conduits. Too bad automobiles are not elastic like atoms and molecules.

Living close to the bone-fish heads and rice was the subsistance diet of Chinese immigrants a hundred fifty years ago. Anyone who figured to stay away from civilization for any length of time stocked up on flower and raisins. Boiled potatoes and buttermilk were staple foods for Irish peasants.

SG

AJ Milne said...

Congratulations on the car. Wouldn't worry about that ubiquity thing--reliable is good.

Had a friend with an older Accord who used to complain about it for being too reliable; he'd moved up the economic rungs a bit since buying it, kinda wanted to trade up, but couldn't really justify it to himself for years. Thing works great, it just woulda seemed frivolous, he said.

AJ Milne said...

And hang in there on the divorce. I know--easy for me to say--but it's just a few more weeks. Be over before you know it.

Anonymous said...

Ya bin powerful quiet the past few days.

"Marry in haste; repent at leisure." So said Poor Richard(B. Franklin). I don't think you married in haste; you were twenty-eight when you first tied the knot. Some cultures would have considered you an old maid for half your life. But Lordhavemercy, you've had plenty of time to "repent." Let us hope that the mills of the courts will grind faster and larger in your case.
SG