Wednesday, March 08, 2006

this sounds hearty

I get an email promotional newsletter thingy from Bob's Red Mill, which sells all manner of grains and baking products. In today's edition I found the following:

Slow-Cooked Steel Cut Oats
1 cup Steel Cut Oats
4 cups water
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup finely chopped apple
1/2 cup cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or almonds

Grease the inside of a 3 ½ to 4 quart slow cooker. Throw all ingredients inside slow cooker and mix well. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours. Stir before serving. Great served with milk.

Sounds good. I like oatmeal, anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm

Anonymous said...

This past Thursday, I came across steel-cut oats in a country store north of Maryville; I learned that they have an entirely different appearance from rolled oats. They look as if they would take several aeons to cook. I recollect reading that old fashion oatmeal had to boil for hours, with great care being taken to insure that it not be one glutinous lump or burned to the pot.
This entry made me hungry for oatmeal, so I took a packet to the "wave;" two minutes to boil the water, one for the meal to steep.
Sometimes we have it too easy in this day and age.
SG