Monday, June 06, 2005

Klingon chili

(Pork chile stew)
  • about 3 pounds of pork shoulder roast or stew meat, trimmed and cut into small chunks
  • Flour or masa harina or combination
  • olive oil
  • 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 sm (6 oz?) cans minced marinated green chilis
  • 3 Tbs chili powder: hot, mild or combo
  • 1 tablespoon each or to taste: cumin, basil, thyme, oregano; and a bay leaf
  • salt and pepper, or seasoned S&P (I like Lowry's)
  • 2- 15 oz cans low sodium chicken broth
  • small jar of roasted red peppers, drained and chopped small
  • dash of white wine, lemon juice, OJ or vinegar, for acid

Cut up meat small: salt and pepper. Saute in very large skillet in olive oil until seared all over. Dump in pot with chicken broth and acid juice, simmer. Whisk some of the broth into a little corn or wheat flour to make a paste and stir into pot. Add canned peppers.

Put chopped onion and garlic in skillet w/oil, saute til clear and maybe a little burnt. Add to pot and throw in seasonings. Reduce heat and let stew for a couple hours, uncovered. Stir occasionally so it doesn't scorch on the bottom. Taste and correct seasonings after 30-40 minutes. Add more water or masa harina if needed to adjust thickness. It will thicken quite a lot when it's done.

Scott ate it over rice with sharp cheddar cheese. I ate it with cheese and sweetened rice on the side. The meat would also be very good in a soft tortilla, with refried beans, sour cream and salsa. Don't eat the bay leaf.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Biscuits only a Klingon could eat, or More Adventures in Scottie's Cooking

Once about twenty years ago, during one of my myriad readings of "Shane," I was in the middle of the stump cutting episode and Marian brought out the plate of biscuits. That whetted my appetite, so I went into the kitchen, opened a dime canister of ready-to-bake biscuits, put them into a pan and then the oven after properly preheating it, set the timer, and went back to my bedroom to continue reading. Some while later I heard this gawdawful racket.

It wasn't the timer. It was the smoke alarm.

My low carb diet precluded the ingestion of charcoal, so Scottie got no biscuits that day.

Your advice not to eat the bay leaves can be extended to overbaked breads.

Scotius

Anonymous said...

I don't think I'll rush home to follow your recipe. I might burn it too.

Scotius

Holly said...

Y'know, I can sympathize with books arousing particular appetites. After I wrote the last scene of End of the Line, which has become known in our household as the "cherry pie scene," I had to go promptly to the store and buy a cherry pie. It was an appropriate reward for finishing the story.

Anonymous said...

i trust you did not burn the pie. Marian Starrett did burn the first apple pie, so intent was she on seeing the stump grubbed out.
Scotius